|The Community Food Co-ordinators (CFC) project is a 5 year project funded through the Big Lottery. The project works to develop a range of healthy eating programmes and involve local people in food growing activities. The project aims to raise awareness of healthy eating guidelines; increase the uptake of 5 a day; improve accessibility to fruit and vegetables and impact upon the rise in obesity levels. These will be delivered in line with Manchester's Food Futures Strategy.
The CFC project will:
- establish & support a team of 3 Community Food Co-ordinators across the City of Manchester with two being based with the Healthy Living Networks (HLN) in Manchester;
- address the 3 key themes and outcomes of the healthy eating strand of the Big
- Lottery wellbeing portfolio;
- develop & deliver cook & taste sessions for families;
- deliver fruit & vegetable growing schemes;
- improve information about healthy diets and access to healthy food;
- develop a volunteer programme to build community capacity;
- provide weight management & weight loss advice and sessions.
The CFC programme targets children and families where there are identified risks of obesity (eg; BMI exceeds recommended rates). The approach is very family orientated so as not to stigmatise children or their parents/carers.
The areas targeted are among the most deprived in Manchester, and IMD (Indices of Multiple Deprivation) data shows them ranking in the top 5% of deprivation. The work of the CFC project takes place in & around the following electoral wards:
- Moss Side & Hulme
- Old Moat
|Evaluation Report June 2011
Community Food Co-ordinator
Rose Boyd - North Manchester
Tel.: 07971 331 539
Bernie Murphy – Central Manchester
Tel.: 0161 248 1767 / 07971 331537
Eleanor Murphy – South Manchester
Tel.: 0161 217 3951 / 07971 331540